The case of the murdered Japanese woman: five disciplinary proceedings opened by 5th district police, one department head removed

“We made a mistake”
– Gergely Fülöp, head of the communications department of the Budapest Police Headquarters said at a joint press conference held by the Budapest Police HQ (BRFK) and the National Police HQ (ORFK). The police launched an internal investigation into the case of the Japanese woman who was murdered in Budapest on 29 January because her previously submitted complaints had been ignored. The full internal inquiry was launched after it was found that her report of her ex-husband's threats had been rejected, as well as that there were deficiencies in the investigation into him having stolen her laptop.
“Based on these findings, disciplinary proceedings have been initiated against five people at the Fifth District Police Headquarters.”
– Gergely Fülöp said, adding that once the investigation had concluded, one sub-division head was transferred and one department head was removed. Speaking on behalf of the National Police HQ, Kristóf Gál added that in a procedure separate from the inquiry, the admin in charge of BRFK's Facebook page was also replaced. The background to this is that after the woman's death, there were some rather insensitive replies posted on behalf of the Budapest Police HQ to the public's comments about the work of the police in the case. A few days ago, the police apologised for this: "The communication that went on on behalf of the police in connection with the case of the woman who died in the apartment fire in the V. district was disrespectful, unnecessary and not worthy of the police force," they said. Kristóf Gál now reiterated that they apologised "for the professional error".
Gál added that in the wake of this case, they will be increasing the number of staff at the Budapest police headquarters who will receive sensitising training regarding domestic violence. The case will also have a nationwide impact on cases of domestic violence:
Throughout Hungary, the police will reopen and review previously rejected complaints. Domestic violence cases that have been closed for lack of evidence/crime will also be revisited.
Additionally, currently pending cases will be given greater focus, and the officers will be required to investigate them working with specialist agencies and with increased diligence.
She asked for help multiple times
It was announced last week that the police had launched an internal investigation into the previously rejected complaint of the Japanese woman who had been recently murdered in Budapest. The woman died on 29 January in an apartment in the 5th district of Budapest. Initial investigation by the police ruled out foul play. In a statement published in response to this, the women’s rights organiization Patent Egyesület said that they had been in contact with the victim for a year and a half and that she had filed several complaints against her ex-husband, but the police did nothing to follow them up.
The police later announced that there had been a turn in the case, as the autopsy found evidence of physical assault and they were now investigating it as a homicide. The suspect was identified as the victim's ex-husband, who was taken into custody. The police then promised to investigate the previous, dismissed complaints. Minister of the Prime Minister's Office Gergely Gulyás commented on this on behalf of the government at a press briefing last week, and said that these should definitely be investigated so that "trust in the police would not be lost".
Júlia Spronz, a lawyer at Patent, told Telex last week that the Japanese woman had long been living in fear of her ex-husband. The man is now suspected of premeditated murder and has been arrested. Patent Egyesület and the victim's friends held a protest on Saturday to draw attention to violence against women and to police inaction. A more detailed report on the case is available in this article.
As we have reported, the woman was unable to return to Japan with her two children after her divorce in 2023 because – as her lawyer said – her husband had taken their passports. According to the lawyer, the woman also asked the Japanese embassy for help last summer as she wanted to obtain documents so she and the children could return home more easily. They advised her to negotiate with her ex-husband.
For more quick, accurate and impartial news from and about Hungary, subscribe to the Telex English newsletter!